Friday, February 4, 2011

On the Bench: Army Painter Winter Turf Review

Since I have first seen this product at my FLG, I have been debating on whether or not I wanted to try it. Recently, I finally broke and decided to try using it with the intention of writing a short review. In general, I really love the Army Painter line of products. In a future review, I will discuss my thoughts on their line of primers, but for now, I want to focus on their Battlefield Winter Turf scenery kit.
Photobucket

The purpose of the Battlefield kits is to provide bases with some larger clumps of grass without going thru the hassle of trying to do them from scratch. At ~$5.00 for a blister’s worth of the turf, the product is well priced for folks looking to upgrade the look of their scenic bases. Each blister contains enough turf in various sizes to cover a reasonable size regiment of WFB or 40K bases. On the back of the packaging, instructions on how to use the product are included.
Photobucket

The actual application of the turf is a snap and works as advertised. First, find the piece of turf that you want to use from the blister.
Photobucket

Second, place a small drop of Elmer’s glue where you want to stick the turf.
Photobucket

Third, remove the piece of turf from the blister using a pair of pliers.
Photobucket

Finally, place the piece of turf firmly, but not hard, onto the glue drop.
Photobucket

Overall, I found Army Painter’s Battlefield Winter Turf to be a great option for adding a little something extra to your bases. They make different versions of the turf product, including ones colored for a jungle or swamp. The process of adding the turf is simple and effective, so it is a great option for decorating multiple bases in a single sit-down. My only negative is that I would like to see Army Painter bundle the product as a part of a complete basing kit. They may already do this, but I have not seen such a kit at my FLG, so I am assuming for now it is not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment