Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tournament Tuesdays: Preparing for Vanguard - Part Six

Since I am doing a DoW gunline army, I wanted to add a big gun that would cost me my rare slot. I had three choices: a generic cannon, the goblin hewer, or Bronzino's Galloper Guns. In the end, I decided to go with Bronzino's Galloper Guns because of the models and the unique way the unit plays on the battlefield.

Photobucket

For those not familiar, Bronzino's Galloper Guns is a mobile cannon. Unlike a standard cannon, it only has a range of 24", but because of how cannons work and the mobility of the unit, the reduction in range is not as much of an issue as I first thought. The unit also comes with a "free" hero that can detach from the crew and harass other units.

When it came to painting the crew, I decided to maintain the purple used on other units, but to avoid the leather pants on the crossbowmen and Vespero's Vendetta. I also decided to replace one of the normal models with an old Empire model to give the unit a little more character.

Photobucket

The cannon was a bit of a challenge when it came to painting it. The wood grain started as a couple coats of scorched brown followed by a heavy wash of badab black. Once the wash was dry, I did a couple thin layers of scorched brown and Reaper woodgrain. The end result came out decent, but I think I may clean it up after the tournament.

Photobucket
Lastly, I decided to convert Bronzino as I was not fond of the original model and his peg leg. I made the conversion using bitz from the outrider kit, crossbow kit, and a brettonian kit. Nothing fantastic, but a simple conversion to meet the requirements of the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment