Thursday, May 14, 2009

On the Bench: Amethyst Veil (Retro Blog)

Dancing to the Beat of a Different Drum

I don’t know if there is a formal name for the condition I am about to describe, but I do know I suffer from it. The condition I speak of is a kind of fear that grips me when I am nearing the completion of a model and I only have a few sets of colors left to complete. It always seems that I am more critical of that last part of the work than the earlier stages. In this case, as I reach the completion of the model, I begin to worry that I really don’t have an idea how to paint the skin on the drum. I kind of have an idea how I want it to look, but I’m still not sure if I should be painting it outward or inward from the center. Not wanting to waste days worrying about it, I decide to go outward from the center and use a palette based on terra earth and khaki.

4:1 terra earth: thinner, 0 size brush
2:2:1 terra earth: khaki: thinner, 0 size brush
4:1 khaki: thinner, 00 size brush
3:3:2 khaki: dark sand: thinner, 00 size brush
3:3:2:1 khaki: dark sand: skull white: thinner, 00 brush size
2:2:2:1 khaki: dark sand: skull white: thinner, 00 brush size
1:1:4:2 khaki: dark sand: skull white: thinner, 00 brush size

The reason I use dark sand with the khaki is that I found it lightens the khaki color without bleaching it out like a straight mix of khaki and skull white. The end result was okay, I am not sure I really like it. The good thing is that this is the only model that was using this color scheme (i.e. has a drum), so I can change it later without having to redo a large number of models.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Monday: Finding gold

No comments:

Post a Comment