Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Imperial Guard Project

As I have mentioned in the past, my friend Ernie and I are working on a joint Imperial Guard project. The idea is to build off of each other and work towards having a unified force for potential team tournaments in the distant future. Up to this point, we have been diving into the codex and developing ideas for our theme. At this point, I don’t want to reveal that theme, but I do feel like sharing potential units that may be included in my portion of the project. What I can say is my portion does not make a “typical” army as the flaws in the army are very intentional and clear. (Note to my readers: feel free to discuss these flaws in the comments section, as I am eager to babble about this project.)

The first unit I am looking at building is a veteran squad using Gunnery Sergeant Harker. The squad will be based on cadian models, so Gunnery Sergeant Harker will be a “count as” cadian version of the character/model. I visualize this unit to be the guys that sit outside the city’s gate and are ready to keep anyone from leaving through those gates.

Veteran Squad w/ Gunnery Sergeant Harker, 3 Sniper Rifles, 1 Heavy Bolter and the Forward Sentries Doctrine (180 pts)

When it came to designing the army, this was actually the first unit I wanted to build. The reason they are going to be the second unit (at this time) is that this unit will be the first unit that has a transport. Unlike the first unit, this one already has a name, “The Matchstick Boys”. As the name implies, this unit is all about burning stuff. The intention of this unit is to be my version of an urban cleansing squad. The Matchstick Boys are the crew sent into a city to clean up the rough parts.

Veteran Squad w/ 1 Heavy Flamer, 2 Flamers, and 1 Chimera w/ Turret/Hull Flamers (155 pts)

The next unit has already been revealed, but with the codex in hand, I can define what the “Nut Crackers” are going to look like on the board. I just love the idea of these guys, a group of cranky ogryns that have one goal, crack open anything they are ordered to crack open. Old Balls is the Bonehead of the crew, a veteran ogryn with an attitude like your momma! Sloppy Joe was a bodyguard for a low ranking commissar until he accidently killed him. Moo and Oink are new blood to the crew. Their nicknames coming from the sounds they make when sleeping. As a side note, I really wish these guys could have a commissar as a unit purchase. I had some fun ideas, but don’t want to burn the HQ slot on a commissar lord.

Ogryns (4 models) w/ Chimera w/ Turret/Hull Heavy Bolters (225 pts)

After this point in the project, I should have enough practice painting tanks that I will be comfortable painting a couple of Forgeworld models. This unit is currently nicknamed as the “Exterminators”, but I think I will search for something more original. The idea is that machinery and equipment is more important than human life, so Bane Wolves are used for extreme crowd control. I’ll be using the forgeworld Graia Pattern Hellhounds, as I like them the best of the currently available options.

Bane Wolves (2 Tanks) w/ Smoke Launchers (270 pts)

Every army must have a commander, and this one is no exception. The problem is whether or not I want to roll with a themed command squad or go with a commissar lord that is basically acting like a warden. To this end, I have decided for now that I will focus on a commissar lord, as I have one more unit at this point that I want to add to the army. I don’t know the back story on this guy, but he feels right at the moment. Maybe he will become the commissar that joins the Nut Crackers.

Lord Commissar w/ power weapon (80 pts)

The last unit is a bit odd, but again, it goes with the theme I am developing for this army. I am going with a cheesy name, but one that fits the model. “The Mechanic” will be a techpriest enginseer accompanied by some servitors. I will be using arco models instead of the servitor models, as I dislike the current servitor models.

Techpriest Enginseer w/ 3 servitors (90 pts)

Once the base 1000 points is finished, I will look at expanding the army further. In my next article, I will look at potential units that may make the army when I am ready to expand it to a solo army for 1500 point games.

No comments:

Post a Comment