Sunday, January 17, 2010

2010 Tyranids: Equinox's First Attempt

As I wrote a few weeks ago, I received a pre-order invoice for the Tyranid codex as a Christmas gift. The book arrived yesterday, so while watching the Ravens fall out of the playoffs (ARGH!), I drew up a list based on what I have assembled and painted.

Hive Tyrant w/ Hive Commander, Psychic Scream, Leech, and 1 Guard (255 pts)
3 Lictors (195 pts)
3 Zoanthropes (180 pts)
10 Genestealers w/ Broodlord (186 pts)
10 Genestealers w/ Broodlord (186 pts)
10 Genestealers w/ Scything Talons & Broodlord w/ Scything Talons (208 pts)
10 Hormagaunts (60 pts)
3 Raveners w/ Rending Claws (105 pts)
Total 1495 pts

I have always loved armies that attack LD and this army can do that by the bucket load. It is not optimized, but it doesn't require me buying anything new either, so it is a personal win for 2010.

When fielding this army, my general approach would be to park everything but the tyrand and zoanthropes in reserve. The first turn will be critical as I will need to protect the tyrant for a turn as it will be a huge target. My hope is that a combination of terrain and a wall of zoanthropes can be an effective shield for a single turn.

Once the 2nd turn has hit, and assuming that my tyrant is alive, I should start cashing in on the reserve roll bonuses. On turn two, the tyrants bonus will come into play, so hopefully I can deploy the lictors and the bulk of everything else. Assuming the lictors hit on two and survive for a turn, I can use the additional reserve bonus on turn three and thus get everything in by the third turn.

Once stuff hits, my hope is the genestealer broods can hit quickly and bring the multiple "Aura of Despairs " into range of the enemy. This should allow for me to win assaults easily and also make the Tyrant's scream more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment