Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fantasy Thursdays: Preparing for Vanguard - Part Four


Since deciding on Dogs of War for Vanguard, I have worked with the intention of building a gunline style army. My finished unit of DoW crossbowmen is the first actual regiment that actually fits my intentions. Before working on them I debated between doing them or Braganza’s Beseigers. In the end, I chose the generic unit because I had a complete kit and couldn’t settle on a color scheme for the RoR.


Before discussing how I painted them, I have to go on record and state that upon completion of the regiment, I have really come to hate the Empire crossbowmen kit. I think what bothers me about it is some of the bizarre design decisions that were made with the models. One example would be the models that have bones tied to them. I understand that WFB is a gritty and dark place, but the bones were out of place and sculpted such that removing them would be a chore. Another thing I dislike about the kit is the general goofy appearance of empire troops. The medieval jumpsuits are not my thing and I would have preferred a different style.


When it came to painting this unit, I decided to paint it to align with Vespero’s regiment. I knew going in that this unit would be a bit more colorful because of the feathers and ribbons, but I still wanted the general look to fit with my other core unit. The challenge painting the unit came from having to make decisions on how to paint certain things that were not on other models finished for the army. The crossbows are one example of this challenge. It took me a bit of time to determine a color scheme that I liked and was average to recreate. Overall, I think the regiment turned out fine, but I could have done better.


When it comes to the battlefield, this unit’s role is pretty obvious. My strategies are never complex, so I plan on setting them up to take advantage of their 30” range and just prioritize targets. I expect them to panic easily, even with the paymaster near, so I will need to have other units nearby to protect them from the approaching enemy.

In Three Weeks: Bronzino's Galloper Guns

No comments:

Post a Comment